The Legal Aid Society of San Diego has provided free legal services to the community of San Diego since 1953. In providing those services, the Legal Aid Society of San Diego, relies on funding from grants, endowments, private contributions, cy pres, and other funding sources.
Last year alone, Legal Aid Society of San Diego provided services on almost 10,000 cases. Legal Aid Society of San Diego also provided services throughout San Diego in community/courthouse clinics, outreach, community education and providing support for other community-based organizations and partners.
These services ranged from:
- Helping people access essential health services and reduce their health care costs
- Protecting people from Discrimination to Housing
- Ensuring that families and individuals put food on their tables
- Protecting survivors and their children from domestic violence, sexual assault and trafficking
- Preventing homelessness
- Protecting consumers from debt collectors, identity theft, and bad car deals
- And much more.....
Your contribution is tax-deductible for the sole benefit of the Legal Aid Society of San Diego, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt corporation and its programs.
Pursuant to Public Law 104-135, Legal Aid Society of San Diego, Inc. is required to notify all contributors and potential contributors that no funds received by Legal Aid Society may be expended for an activity prohibited by Legal Services Corporation Act 42 U.S.C. 2996 et seq. or by Public Law 104-134.
Donate Through Amazon Smile
Do you shop at Amazon.com? At no cost to you, 0.5% of all your purchases can go to help the poor of San Diego County. Simply log in to http://smile.amazon.com and 0.5% of your purchase will be donated to the Legal Aid Society when you type in our name at the requested field. We will then be your default organization and from then on all you do is log in to smile.amazon.com to shop at amazon, which will make a donation to us for each purchase.
Leave a legacy of justice. Remembering Legal Aid in your will or estate plan can help change lives for generations to come. Learn more about leaving a bequest or gift from a retirement plan or life insurance policy. For more information, please contact our Development Director Lorena Slomanson at LorenaS@lassd.org
By moving to direct cy pres funds to the Legal Aid Society of San Diego (LASSD) you are ensuring that the poorest members of our community are afforded equal access to justice.
LASSD is a worthy and unique recipient of cy pres funds. It provides free legal assistance to the poor throughout San Diego County with offices in Oceanside, Southeast San Diego and Midtown San Diego. It is also the only legal aid program that operates a legal hot line serving the entire County. Low-income people needing legal assistance can call the hotline and receive immediate counsel and advice on landlord tenant and other problems.
LASSD qualifies for and regularly receives cy pres funds in a variety of consumer protection cases including but not limited to: smokeless tobacco, unfair business practices lenders, unfair car dealership and manufacturer claims and practices, and banks’ unfair and illegal policies and services.” LASSD continually qualifies for these types of awards due to its own robust consumer protection practice.
With over 120 employees, LASSD addresses the most pressing legal needs of the poor in San Diego County:
- Preserving the Home: Working to avoid homelessness and preserve and expand affordable housing by enforcing housing laws and regulations. Defending all low income unlawful detainer defendants desiring representation in the San Diego Superior Court.
- Support for Families: Providing restraining orders for domestic violence victims, and representing custodial parents to maintain their family structure, to escape abuse and create a safe and stable environment for themselves and their families.
- Maintaining Economic Stability: Helping consumers protect themselves by representing them in cases involving: debt collection violations, fair debt collection practices, unfair and deceptive advertising of financial products and services, automobile repair and repossession, and many types of consumer contracts as well as representation in federal tax disputes.
- Safety, Stability and Health: Helping individuals and families access essential health care services and insurance coverage through the Affordable Care Act.
- Populations with Special Vulnerabilities: Providing families, trafficking and crime victims, and those suffering domestic violence information and representation for immigration; providing security net services such as obtaining General Relief and SSI and/or SSDI benefits for qualified clients who have no source of income or impairments that prevent them from any gainful employment.
Please consider LASSD when making your recommendations for cy pres distributions. Click here to access sample pleadings prepared by the California Commission on Access to Justice to assist you with an application for a cy pres distribution.
For additional information, please contact Lorena Slomanson, Esq., Director of Development at 619-471-2656 or LorenaS@lassd.org