Taxpayer Rights and Education
We help with federal tax disputes and for some CA state tax issues including audits, missing refunds or payments, and tax debt payment plans.
- Issues with getting tax refunds or not receiving Economic Impact Payments (EIP’s)
- Communication issues with the IRS/FTB
- Seek out collection alternatives to pay tax debts such as: Installment Agreements (IA), Offer in Compromise (OIC) or Currently not Collectible (CNC)
- Preparation and representation before the United States Tax Court (USTC)
How To Get Help
Call to speak to our intake team, Monday through Friday 9 am – 5 pm
Call 1-877-534-2524 | TTY 1-800-735-2929
Or send an email using the contact form here.
Or come in to one of our 3 office locations.
When you come to our office, make sure you are ready to provide us:
- Tax returns you filed or had prepared for year(s) in issue, including your most current return.
- Copies of your most recent pay stubs or documents that show your current yearly income.
- All correspondence to and from the IRS and Tax Court.
- Any documents related to your case.
Tax Walk-In Clinic
Location: San Diego County Law Library
1105 Front St
San Diego, CA 92101
Hours: Last Wednesday of every month 12:30 to 3:00 PM
Services are provided on a first come, first served basis.
Self Help Resources
While we do not help people prepare and file returns, we can usually connect you to a free organization to help you. During the regular tax filing season, we can direct you to a volunteer income tax assistance (VITA) site.
You can also call 2-1-1 to find the nearest VITA site or check out United Way of San Diego website for more information.
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Espanol
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Brazilian Portuguese
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Haitian Creole
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Arabic
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Farsi
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Somali
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Swahili
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Dari
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Pashto
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Vietnamese
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Chinese
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Korean
EITC Coalition Postcards 2023 Tagalog
University of San Diego-School of Law State Income Tax and State Sales & Use Tax Clinics
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC)
San Diego: 880 Front St., San Diego, CA 92101
San Marcos: 1 Civic Center Dr., San Marcos, CA 92069
- Must have picture ID
- By appointment only, please call: (844) 545-5640
Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS)
1 (877) ASK-TAS1 or 1 (877) 777-4778 or (949)-389-4804
Local San Diego TAS Office
Address: 701 B. St., Ste. 902, San Diego, CA 92101
Fax: (855) 796-9578
- Taxpayer Advocates Service News and Information
Refunds and General Information
Mon-Fri, 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM
1 (800) 829-1040
Taxpayers who call early are most likely to get through.
Economic Impact Payments (EIP’s)/Stimulus check
1 (800) 919-9835
IRS additional resources
- 1 (800) 852-5711
- Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
- FTB Help
- Middle Class Tax Refund (MCTR)
- For more information and additional questions about the Middle Class Tax Refund (MCTR), please call:
FTB-MCTR Customer Support line (M-F, 8-5PM) at: 1 (800) 542-9332
MCTR Debit Card Questions (24/7) at: 1(800) 240-0223
Or Online Help/Chat (M-F, 8-5PM) go to: mctrpayment.com
This video explains what will happen in an audit. It is far more accurate than the scare ads you hear or see on radio and TV.
TAS Correspondence Audit Examinations playlist and related tax videos by Nina Olson
New CA Legislation and Other Selected Tax and UIB updates (August 2022)
Audit Vs Appeal…Same Process? (September 2022)
Setting Up Payment Agreements w/ Taxes and Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB), presentation w/ SDLL and EDD Representatives from the Tax & Benefit Overpayment Collection Total depts. (October 2022)
Filing to USTC and Appealing to CUIAB (Part 2)-Process and Results (November 2022)
Worst-Case Scenarios w/ Tax and UIB (December 2022)
Taxes 2022: Preparation and Selected UIB Discussion (February 2023)
Request a Presentation
Our staff give presentations on a variety of issues to community groups, service providers, and others in low-income communities.
Volunteer to Help
We can always use volunteer assistance. Please contact our pro bono team for opportunities!