All Other Housing
We provide Free help for those who qualify that are having housing problems or questions about their rights as a tenant, as well as, those who have questions about their security deposit.
Legal Aid Society of San Diego welcomes walk-ins. For faster service call 1-877-LEGAL AID (1-877-534-2524).
If you wish to come to an office, we have 3 locations:
Southeast San Diego Office
Midtown San Diego Office
North County San Diego Office
You can get Free Help, if you qualify, for questions or problems regarding:
- A verbal or written notice from the person you live with or rent from, or from a landlord.
- Your rights on getting or protecting your security deposit.
- What to do if you are locked out of unit by your landlord or other person from whom you are renting.
- Utility shutoff.
- Your unit has habitability problems (such as rodents, pests, appliances not working, fixture problems.)
- What your rights are when a landlord wants to come into your unit.
- How to leave your unit or break your lease.
- What do when you receive a court document about your housing.
- What to do if your rental unit is being converted to a Condominium.
- Housing Discrimination questions or problems
- Public housing
Basic Landlord-Tenant Issues
- Your rights as a tenant
- Getting repairs done to the unit
- How to respond to a landlord’s notice of termination
- Oral Notice: all notices of termination must be in writing and thus oral notifications are legally ineffective
- Written Notice
- Do you think your eviction is Retaliation for something you did
- Who you can contact if your landlord is sexually harassing you, discriminating you because of race, religion, sex, and so on, or won’t allow you to change your unit based on a physical disability
- Whether your landlord can increase rent
- Other Problems
- Avoiding Foreclosure
- Home Affordable loan Modification Program (HAMP)
- Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP)
- HUD Loan Modification
- HUD Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- California Homeowner’s Bill of Rights (and discussion of the Bill of Rights)
- National Mortgage Settlement
Our housing team can provide community education to groups or organizations. click here.