Pro Bono/Volunteer Opportunities
The Pro Bono Program at LASSD offers a wide range of volunteer opportunities for attorneys, recently retired attorneys, post bar grads, law grads, students, post-bar grads and other volunteers. Our volunteers make a huge difference in the lives of LASSD clients and are essential to the provision of legal services to the poor. Together with our Pro Bono Program Partners Funders & Supporters, LASSD’s Pro Bono Program volunteers provided almost 18,000 hours towards cases and services that ranged from helping domestic violence survivors get restraining orders to helping a disabled child's family get the benefits they need to help support that child.
Join Us and Make a Difference!
- Receive training and mentoring in the area you pick.
- Multiple volunteering opportunities based on time and what you would like to do.
- Help meet the needs of the poor in San Diego County.
- Choose among a variety of case types and gain broad legal experience.
- Develop community contacts.
- Member of a specialty bar? We provide stipends based on your hours to our Partner Bar Associations.
- Earn recognition from the State Bar of California.
Examples of just some Volunteer Opportunities:
- Represent a client by providing advice, representation or transactional assistance in Family Law cases, Bankruptcy, Basic Estate Planning, Housing, Consumer, and other areas. Clients are pre-screened by LASSD, and mentorship is available.
- Volunteer at one of LASSD’s Clinics- Volunteers assist self-represented litigants by providing information, education and assistance to complete court forms. Training is provided on-site and no experience is necessary.
- Teach Elementary-aged children how to use mediation skills to solve problems on the playground. Our Peer Mediation Program provides training sessions in high-risk, low-income neighborhoods.
For more information click on the position that is most applicable to you: