Get help with SSI for mental or behavioral health ailments from our clubhouse advocates here.
If you get General Relief, get SSI help from our advocates here.
We provide FREE help with Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claims.
You may qualify for our services if you:
- Have a mental or behavioral health condition
- Receive General Relief benefits
Our specially trained advocates and attorneys help with all aspects of the Social Security Disability and SSI claims process, including: initial applications, reconsiderations, hearings, continued disability reviews and all other appeals. They will prepare applications, file appeals and obtain medical and other evidence to prove your claim. Our attorneys will represent you in Social Security hearings. All our services are FREE. We do not charge, and we do not take part of your retroactive benefits when you are granted.
Our clients often ask us how long it will take to get benefits. The government is backlogged at each level of its review of your case. Individual circumstances could vary.
The SSI Advocacy Program frequently gives presentations to behavioral health clinics and community resource providers throughout the county. We can address specific questions that your case managers, doctors and other staff may have. We also host trainings for providers in Social Security Disability basics. If you would like us speak to your group, or are interested in a training please click here.
Attorneys: We welcome volunteer attorneys at all experience levels. We ask that all volunteer attorneys commit to at least six months of volunteering for a minimum of 7 hours a week. If you feel you can make this commitment, please fill out the form and indicate when you would like to begin your volunteer service and any restrictions (for example, know that must conclude volunteering by certain date, upcoming extended vacations, etc.)
Law Students: We welcome law student volunteers and interns. We ask that all volunteer law students commit to at least six months of volunteering for a minimum of 7 hours a week. If you feel you can make this commitment, please fill out the form and indicate when you would like to begin your volunteer service and any restrictions (for example, know that must conclude volunteering by certain date, time off for finals, etc.)
Non-legal: We welcome volunteers for non-legal duties. In addition to handling hundreds of SSI cases, the SSI Team conducts several presentations and trainings for providers and consumers throughout the community each year. Our team has many administrative tasks for which we welcome help from volunteers. Please fill out this form.
- County Clubhouses provide services, including SSI help, for persons with mental and behavioral health conditions. To find the nearest clubhouse to you, click here
GENERAL RELIEF AND OTHER COUNTY BENEFITS
- The County Family Resource Centers (FRCs) provide General Relief and other benefits. For eligibility information and how to apply, visit the San Diego County General Relief homepage.
- For information on emergency shelters, affordable housing, food and meal services, and other social services visit the 211 Website.
- San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency – Provides a number of public health services, including urgent walk-in care. click here.
- City of San Diego Homeless Services.
- Homeless Resources, County of San Diego.
- A list of Crisis Houses in San Diego County.
For mental health treatment and assistance contact the Access and Crisis Line at (888) 724-7240.
Disability Rights California – Provides Advocacy Services for the Disabled. click here.
Rachael’s Women’s Center – Provides resources for homeless women. click here.
Path San Diego – Provides services and support for the homeless. click here.
Questions about SSI and Social Security Benefits can often be answered by using the Social Security Website. The website contains information on:
- How to file an application or appeal
- The qualifications for benefits
- What happens when a disability recipient returns to work
- How to set up direct deposit to receive benefits, click here
and many other questions about the SSI and Social Security Benefits application process.
To review our Privacy Notice regarding how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please click here
Please ask us if you need this document translated into your primary language, large font, Braille, and/or require any other accommodation requests.