CalWorks / CalFresh
Legal Aid Society of San Diego welcomes walk-ins. For faster service call 1-877-LEGAL AID (1-877-534-2524).
If you wish to come to an office, we have 3 locations:
Southeast San Diego Office
Midtown San Diego Office
North County San Diego Office
Call us for your questions or problems with General Relief, CalWorks, Welfare to Work, CalFresh (formerly known as Food Stamps), CAPI, KinGap, Foster Care, and Adoptive Assistance. We can advise you and may be able to represent you if you have requested a hearing.
- Is the County trying to take your benefits back? Call us to find out your rights.
- Are you having problems getting a benefit? Call us to find out your rights.
If you disagree with a County Action, You must Request a Hearing
- How to request a hearing. This California Government Website gives the different ways for you to request a hearing.
- Use this website if you want to file a Discrimination Complaint about county welfare.
- Third party resource in understanding CalFresh: California Guide to CalFresh
- Here is where to find an estimate on the amount of CalFresh benefits you might get.
- California State CalFresh Regulations
- San Diego County CalFresh Program Guide
- Application for CalFresh in San Diego:
- Help with applying for CalFresh
- California State CalWorks Regulations
- San Diego County CalWorks Program Guide
- Apply for CalWorks online
- San Diego County CAPI Program Guide
- To request a hearing, call (619) 237-8534
- San Diego County General Relief Program Guide
- Help with Groceries
- Location of Free ATMs and CalFresh Stores near you.
- To get help with: establishing paternity, establishing child or medical support orders or collecting child support: Contact the San Diego County Department of Child Support Services.
- Expungement of your criminal record.
- If you need food:
- For other services, call 211.
- Please bring any notices of action from the county or state.
- Please bring all papers that may help your case.
We may help with hearings about CalFresh, CalWorks or any Calworks services (such as Welfare to Work, etc.) or money owed on these benefits. We have a Free hearing clinic, located at the 1255 Imperial Avenue, Suite 300, Appeal Office. Call our office 877.534.2524, to find out dates and times.
Law Clerk Opportunities:
We accept law clerks at any time. We look for volunteer law clerks who have 5 to 7 hours a day 3 to 5 days a week. The reason for such a large time committment is that we want law clerks to be able to not only interview clients, but also have an opportunity to represent clients at an administrative hearing. Click here to apply.